Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Forecast: Cloudy Skies

Posting Twenty-nine

Forecast: Cloudy Skies. . .


One of my NECCC Conference presenters reminded me of something I had done some time ago. He was showing an image with a very bland sky and thought a more impressive one would add interest to it.

So into his folder of clouds, he came upon several that would enhance the original picture. He proceeded to cut and paste the main subject and drop it onto the new backdrop with white puffy clouds and a blue sky. What a difference the sky made to an average looking image.

I decided I needed to start my own folder of varying sky looks. So my new assignment is to watch the skies and when I see something interesting, go shoot it!

Several years ago I had come up with a summer assignment for members of my camera club, Hockomock Digital Photographers. I asked everyone to go out and shoot eight to ten images with a theme. When we returned in September, we would show what people shot over the summer. It was a huge success! One woman even wrote a poem to enhance her imagery.

So, I think I have this summer’s assignment – go out and shoot some skies. I will be killing two birds as I will have my summer assignment done and have started a folder of skies for future use.

Here are some storm clouds from last weekend’s squall. . . 


Storm Brewing


Threatening Skies


"I Can Hear the Rolling Thunder!"

Can you see the Mother Ship in these clouds?

Clearing Skies - Screened Shot
 

No comments:

Post a Comment