Monday, August 13, 2018

#19 - "Gearing Up"



#20 was the Pill. . .

Well done my loyal followers - Peyton, Elaine, Mike, Tony, Milt, Michelle, Joani, and photo-friend from Idaho, Kathy B!




"Gearing Up"



Not much to shoot at this former textile mill (Stone Mill) so it was a challenge to find anything during my three hours there. This window opening device had fallen off the overhead skylights and was resting on a barrel. Later I was able to shoot others in their normal settings. 

Greatest Inventions of All Time!
Recently I came across an article about the greatest inventions as determined by a large group of scientists, philosophers, educators, and other professions. Their task was to create a list of "the Greatest Inventions of All Time." Conveniently, the final list numbered fifty! so, I'm starting with #50 and working my way down to Numero Uno in December.

Fear not as I will offer you some hints as to what the invention was.

#19
#19 became the basis of modern industry

The Bessemer process was the first inexpensive industrial process for the mass production of ore.

The key principle is the removal of impurities from the ore by oxidation with air being blown through the molten ore. The oxidation also raises the temperature of the mass and keeps it molten.


The modern process is named after its inventor, the Englishman Henry Bessemer,  who took out a patent on the process in 1856. The process was said to be independently discovered in 1851 by the American inventor William Kelly though there is little to back up this claim.




Murphy's Laws


Woods's Refutation of the First Law of Socio-Genetics


On the contrary, 
if you never procreate, neither will your kids.


Leaving You with a Laugh, I Hope. . .

"Glad I Wasn't There!"


No comments:

Post a Comment