Sunday, October 20, 2013

# 290 - "Reflections. . ."




“Not everybody trusts paintings but people believe photographs.”
     - Ansel Adams






f/5.6 @ 1/1600 sec. ISO 400




Double Jump

I had an opportunity to shoot a Motocross Competition in the area. One of the areas of weakness (and there are many that need to be addressed) for me is action shots. With these cyclists zipping around the track I was able to practice freezing the jumps and panning their movements around the circuit.

In many photo ops the background is key to whether or not you actually have a worthwhile image. Here the distractions were minor. Being able to move around the race area allowed me several vantage points to capture the shots.

After a few practice runs, I was able to determine where they would be airborne. Now it came down to getting the shutter speed correct. By cranking up the ISO, I had a shutter speed of 1/1600 of a second. This was fast enough to freeze the jumps.

I think Ansel was a visionary with this quote. We have been able to manipulate our images to the point that no one knows whether they are real or not! No image manipulations were done to “Double Jump” other than contrast and sharpening.

It only takes one to keep me posting but I heard from four yesterday - Michelle, Tony, EMO, and Joani!

Bonus Image



This was a difficult shot as there were always cars parked beside the barn. So an early rise the next day and getting to the park (Capitol Reef) before it officially opened, I got my shot!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Joe!
    Love both photos!
    Especially the barn!
    Enjoy the fall and take plenty of seasonal photos!
    Welcome home again!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete