Monday, February 24, 2014

Week Eight - "February Challenge"




"February Compilation"



I needed something to wrap up each month of my daily blog so my daughter, Lisa, suggested doing a compilation of the month's images. Not having a clue as to what she meant, she patiently walked me through the steps and here it is. 

To refresh your memory I shot an antique each of the twenty-seven days in alphabetical order. 




Guest Photographer - Michael Perchard

"The Newsboy"




As you may have figured out, Michael is a painter. 

"Most of my work is motivated by my experiences growing up in East Boston. I was a newspaper boy in Maverick Square in East Boston. When a friend in Pennsylvania mentioned he loved it, I needed to paint a replica as I had already sold the original. I shipped it out to him in PA.  Sad ending; my friend recently passed away. He did however receive the painting and he said it made him cry. I will be speaking at a memorial for him in a couple of weeks in East Boston.

I am usually motivated drawn into a painting by some emotional attachment to the subject matter.  One of my goals is to have that emotion show in my work."


More often than not, I paint with acrylics. Mostly on canvas!  With the acrylic paint I often use flexible modeling paste to create texture. I sometimes use sand for the same reason. I often add a gloss medium and varnish medium. Thin acrylics with ordinary water. Love to paint layers upon layers of paint with plenty of glazes. My process can vary but mostly I start with an idea and I make sure I keep it very vague. I do that for many reasons - the biggest reason being by not having many specific goals or planned outcomes I am always open to surprises that often happen! I am also"free" to change my mind. Many of my works have started off with  one idea and have ended totally different! This process helps me greatly to create something unique. It also makes my work fun, exciting, adventurous, and even joyful!  



You can follow Michael on his blog:
http://art-by-michael-perchard.blogspot.com





Thanks, Michael!


Don't forget to send me some of your favorites from 2013.

Next Week's Guest is Ann Bertulli


Weekly Photo Suggestion:



In terms of composition, photography and painting aren't much different!



  A Pearl of Wisdom. . .

  Law of Inanimate Mobility

All inanimate objects can move just enough to get in your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment