Monday, February 17, 2014

Week Seven - "Dick and Jane Reader"


As Phil noted, Deana's framing of the Space Needle was well done!


"Fun with Dick and Jane"



This was one of the challenges from the month of February where I shot alphabetically and it was an antique. This book holds fond memories of my first "unofficial" teacher, my Aunt Molly! Since I was too young to attend first grade at St. Peter's, my aunt would take me to her place of work - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Grammar School in Roxbury (more commonly known as Mission Grammar). Since Molly was a first grade teacher we used this series. Note the bottom line as this was the CATHEDRAL Basic Reader. These books were specifically published for the parochial schools. Inside each story there would be a Catholic artifact (crucifix, a holy water font, a statue of Mary, etc.).

What was so special about this book is what was stamped on the inside cover:
"Property of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Grammar School, Roxbury"

I probably read out of this book back in Aunt Molly's classroom!




Guest Photographer - Doris Steeg

"Chambers Bay Park"


This photo was taken in late December at Chambers Bay Park overlooking Puget Sound at sunset.   I was driving by and noticed the splendid colors.  The structure is part of the remains of a gravel pit operation.  Pierce County took it over and developed the space into a park and golf course. 

No post-production processing.


I met Doris when I took a photo workshop through Elderhostel back in 2004. The setting was Tomahawk, WI. For twelve days, our leader, Doug led us through the backwoods of Wisconsin. Doris and I have been emailing each other ever since. The last day of my trip to the Pacific Coast Highway was to drop off the car in Seattle. Cheryl and I managed to meet with Doris and Joani for dinner!




Thanks, Doris!


Don't forget to send me some of your favorites from 2013.

Next Week's Guest is Michael Perchard


Weekly Photo Suggestion:



Constructively critique the works of others.




  A Pearl of Wisdom. . .

  Rule of Accuracy

When working toward the solution of a problem, it always helps if you know the answer.

        Corollary - Provided, of course, that you know there is a problem!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe! Love the Dick and Jane readers! See Spot! See Spot run!!!!
    Nice post!
    Best to all!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete