Monday, February 3, 2014

Week Five - Last Stop Winterized


I was wondering along with some of you - just how far WAS Peyton from that bear???


My last two images were of this school bus and one of my goals was to capture it during the different seasons. After a considerable snowfall I made the trek back to the abandoned bus which would have been my third shoot of the new year. The snow gave the vehicle an entirely different look and feel. 





I had to be a little creative in this one as the snow completely surrounded the bus AND I wanted a reflection. So, I went back into my "Last Stop" archives and retrieved one with a reflection. I was able to clone that one into this snowy image. It did take a few tries but the end result was worth the effort!


Guest Photographer - Phil Holt

"Boston Marathon 2013"



I ran for 30 years and completed two marathons. My goal was to qualify for the Boston Marathon. To do that, a runner has to run a prior marathon (26.2 miles) in a qualifying time for his age group. I came very close but developed some knee issues that stopped me from be able to run serious distances. A marathon by definition is too far and a person has to push themselves to beyond to complete. If you've run those 26.2 miles, you find your self identifying with the individuals out there.
  
 
This image was taken at about the 16 mile point in Wellesley. I was able to position myself on the sidewalk and take unobstructed pictures of the runners. These runners are average runners that would finish with a time of around 4 hours +. I didn't find out until I got back home that the Marathon bombings had occurred and then I realized that the group of runners I was taking pictures of, were the same runners finishing in Copley Square when the bombs went off. This runner appears to be still running well and is in a "zone".  I also like the reflection captured in her sunglasses and the other runners around her.
 
I used the radial filter in Lightroom that helps to draw one's attention to the main subject.

Thanks, Phil!

Don't forget to send me some of your favorites from 2013.


Weekly Photo Suggestion:

You can't "photoshop" bad images into good ones.
   





  A Pearl of Wisdom. . .

Law of Logical Argument 

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about. 



1 comment:

  1. Good morning Joe! On commuter train to class at MFA! I am still out here checking your blog! I love your schoolbus photos! Great works of art! Just enough grit and perfect amount of yellow! Also enjoy your guest photographers!
    Happy Fevruary! (Nice to see Lisa's degree!)
    Take care!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete