Monday, March 12, 2018

#41 - "Locking Mechanism. . ."




#42 was paper money - sorry, I couldn't do better on the clues but several of you came through! Tony, Elaine, Mike, Joani, Peyton, and Jeff W. (not telling you which ones though. . .)




"Locking Mechanism"



Another source of my "industrial" images was the Stone Mill in Lawrence, MA. I had two opportunities to move around this abandoned former factory when I signed onto a Scott Kelby Photo Walk. Back in 2016 about eight photo walkers meandered throughout the three floors of the mill. There wasn't a lot left inside the facility, so I had to really comb the nooks and crannies for anything still hanging around.

I was fascinated by this latch: its age, the scratches around it, the discoloration around it, and its simplicity. Certainly not keeping top secrets behind this door with this level of security!


Greatest Inventions of All Time!
Recently I came across an article about the greatest inventions as determined by a large group of scientists, philosophers, educators, and other professions. Their task was to create a list of "the Greatest Inventions of All Time." Conveniently, the final list numbered fifty! so, I'm starting with #50 and working my way down to Numero Uno in December.

Fear not as I will offer you some hints as to what the invention was.

#41

The name for #41 comes from the Italian rocchetta, meaning "bobbin" or "little spindle," given due to the similarity in shape to the bobbin or spool used to hold the thread to be fed to a spinning wheel.

The first ones were powered by gunpowder in the medieval Chinese Song dynasty around the 13th century. 

The first iron-cased ones were developed in the late 18th century in the Kingdom of Mysore (currently part of India).


Based directly on the Mysorean models, the British designed and developed a more sophisticated type in 1804.



Murphy's Laws


Murchison's Law of Money. . .


Money is like manure. . .
If you spread it around, it does a lot of good. 
But if you pile it up in one place, it stinks like hell.

(don't know about you but I can stand the smell!)



Leaving You with a Laugh, I Hope. . .


"Attitude Adjustment. . ."



No comments:

Post a Comment