Monday, January 20, 2014

Week Three - "Last Stop"


Lots of likes for Liz's "Old Ironsides." Was that a life preserver on the back? No, that's Liz's watermark to protect her image!

Around the middle of January, Hockomock Digital held an Image Study Night with one of the shots of an abandoned school bus to be reviewed. After we commented on the actual image, our attention (okay my personal interest) was the location of this bus. Phil N. was kind enough to share that with us.

The following Friday found me staring down the "Last Stop!




I don't think I need to go into what prompted me to set up my tripod and camera -  the bus, its angle, the clouds, the trees, etc.! I must have shot this vehicle from every angle possible. This one was done in HDR which really dramatized those clouds.

I processed it as I do most of my images with special attention to the NIK software of Viveza and Silver Efex Pro II. I pulled out more of the details in the sky with these plug-ins.






Guest Photographer - Tony Mistretta

"The Neuschwanstein Castle"



The “Neuschwanstein Castle” was in Bavaria, near the Austrian Alps, about 5 hours from where we stayed.  It’s a big tourist attraction and although it was never completely finished by King Ludwig at the time, it later served as a model for Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom castle.  We signed up for a scheduled tour of the castle and I brought a full backpack of camera equipment, only to learn once inside the castle that photography was not allowed.  I decided to play the dumb tourist and sneak a few shots when I thought no one was looking. It wasn't too long before a Gestapo-type individual got in my face and very loudly told me to put my camera away!  Needless to say, I was not very pleased.  The photograph of the castle was taken from a footbridge outside that overlooks the castle.  There were lots of tourists taking pictures there.  I think it is a beautiful setting with the lakes and landscape in the background.  I processed the photo quite a bit to bring out the details, colors and mid-range contrast.  

I think I will always share my story of getting yelled at when I show this photo because that is what I am reminded of when I see it.

Thanks, Tony!

Don't forget to send me some of your favorites from 2013.


Weekly Photo Suggestion:

Travel and photography are the perfect pair!





  A Pearl of Wisdom. . .

Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy 

As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop


making it.



No comments:

Post a Comment