Monday, March 31, 2014

Week Thirteen - "Framed Washington Memorial"

Looks like Beth's Liam is full of personality!




"Framed Washington Memorial"


                


Continuing in Washington, I managed to see all of those iconic structures and many of them from the inside. With ideal spring weather, a walk around the National Mall was the perfect way to see the area.

Washington Monument was still being repaired after a 5.9 magnitude earthquake back in 2011. Even with the scaffolding, it was quite impressive. As I was walking along I looked back over my shoulder to see this reflection of the 555 ft. obelisk. As I readied my camera, I noticed some branches overhead By stepping back a few feet, I was able to use them to frame the architectural marvel.




Guest Photographer - Tony Mistretta


"The Vineyards"


 The “Vineyards” photo was taken in the small town of Bühlertal, where
we stayed.  The town was situated in the Black Forest area of
Germany and was surrounded by these hillside vineyards which were
very beautiful.  Someone told me that the grapes were the type that are
used for Reisling wine.  I photographed the vineyards on several
occasions during the week in which we stayed, but there was one
morning when the light and sky were working in my favor more than
the other times.  On that morning, I was mostly shooting into the light
because I liked the dramatic effect of the backlighting on the clouds
and landscape.  I shot in HDR mode as I often do for landscapes to
capture the maximum detail in the shadows, mid-tones and highlights. 
My HDR exposure settings were -1, -3 and +1 stops from what my
evaluative meter indicated was the correct setting.  I used a wide
angle lens to emphasize the size of the vineyards and the big sky
behind them. 

I choose to share this because it brings back fond memories of where
we stayed and I’ve never seen anything quite like this anywhere else.


Thanks, Tony


Don't forget to send me some of your favorites from 2013.

Next Week's Guest - Michael Perchard
{for a return engagement}



Weekly Photo Suggestion:

  Don't be afraid to take several photos of the same scene at different exposures, angles, or apertures.



 A Pearl of Wisdom. . .

Jones' Law

The man who can smile when things go wrong -- has thought of someone he can blame it on. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddy! I love this one for many reasons. I wrote some comments but having trouble getting them published? Not sure why! I will try again?
    This shot is a great success for many wonderful reasons.... the ominous clouds, the reflection, the branches in the foreground! I love the scaffolding! The way you treated this one makes the monument even more majestic and powerful! Bravo buddy!
    Take care!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete