Monday, May 28, 2018

#30 - "Neatly Wrapped"


#31 was the Archimedes Screw! Well done my Blog Followers - Milt, Michelle, Mike, Elaine, and Joani.




"Neatly Wrapped"



This spool of thick wire cable has certainly stood the test of time! The coiled wire rests comfortably in the Haul of Fame. As I did last week, I focused on part of the whole rather than the entire item. I was intrigued by the rainbow of colors in this rusting cable.

I wouldn't want to be within a thousand feet of this if it ever sprung!


Greatest Inventions of All Time!
Recently I came across an article about the greatest inventions as determined by a large group of scientists, philosophers, educators, and other professions. Their task was to create a list of "the Greatest Inventions of All Time." Conveniently, the final list numbered fifty! so, I'm starting with #50 and working my way down to Numero Uno in December.

Fear not as I will offer you some hints as to what the invention was.

#30

This first farming device not only dug soil up but turned it over, allowing for the cultivation of harder ground. Without it, agriculture as we know it would not exist in northern Europe or the American Midwest.

#30 greatly reduced the amount of time needed to prepare a field, and as a consequence, allowed a farmer to work a larger area of land. In addition, the resulting pattern of low  and high ridges in the soil forms water channels, allowing the soil to drain. In areas where snow buildup causes difficulties, this lets farmers plant the soil earlier, as the snow runoff drains away more quickly.


No help from me on #30!




Murphy's Laws


First Rule of Rural Mechanics. . .


If it works, 
don't fix it.


Leaving You with a Laugh, I Hope. . .



"Coffin Shopping"


No comments:

Post a Comment